14 January, 2011

The Day My World Stood Still


Have you ever had one of those days when everything you did seemed like it just had to go wrong? That single day you would remember for the rest of your life for all the undesirable reasons? Have you ever experienced being an Anti-Midas, where instead of turning into gold, everything you touched turned into crap, reeking of nothing but failure, anger, and frustration? That day when you could do nothing but just watch in amazement how perfectly all things went down one after another, like a tumbling line of dominoes?


How did it feel? You would let out just one damn sigh. Well, you know, I just had one of those days. It felt terrible.


And what's worse is that I actually had two of those days. Two consecutive days of bad luck featuring failures so epic it would've made a really good A Series of Unfortunate Events reality show edition.


It was a Wednesday when I realized that being a bad karma magnet and a scientist is an awful combination. That morning, I just knew something was up with me. I was just feeling like it's going to be a bad day. And well, oh dear Lord thought it would be cool to make my intuition right.


My experiment for that day was voltammetric analysis of ascorbic acid in Vitamin C supplement tablets. I put on my lab gown, my safety goggles, gloves and mask... and then... everything went wrong like everything just HAD to go wrong.


The instructor HAD to change the buffer solution to be prepared in hopes of obtaining better-looking data. It took me thirty minutes to recalculate the amounts needed to prepare the solutions. I almost had a mental diarrhea. That was a lot of math!


I HAD to make a mistake in preparing the solution by diluting it three drops too much. I HAD to prepare that solution again. The Weighing Room supervisor HAD to see me wiping the analytical balance with tissue paper and think I was doing something wrong with it. He then decided to stand next to me while weighing all the solids, making myself much more careful and so much slower as if I was experiencing arm cramps. When the solutions were finally prepared and set up for analysis, the data HAD to turn out wrong anyway. The instructor told me that I could change the parameters until it all worked perfectly as expected (the experiment is new to the curriculum so it hasn't been optimized). It took me more than two hours to finally see the correct good-looking graph for the data for the first solution. It was glorifying. Now all that was left to do was to run seven other solutions, three readings each.


The software HAD to crash after the first reading of the second solution in such a way that when I restarted the computer ten million times over, it's still screwed.


I HAD to die for ten seconds.


It was mortifying. I felt like the earth was collapsing underneath my feet and that the fire that was burning inside my head, of temper and fury, was going to be one with hell. I felt the veins in my forehead growing. I tasted poison in my mouth. I felt my soul slowly shrinking. My heart dropped on the floor. I even accidentally stamped on it.


The instructor came in and restarted the equipment. The software magically started up saying it's okay.


The data I subsequently obtained were all screwed up, nevertheless. Obviously, something wrong went down, and something needed to be done to reverse it and to put it back to the state it was in when it was working, but I couldn't do anything. I just had to accept my fate. I finished at 2:30 pm (My lab starts at 7 am and ends at 11:30 am). I skipped lunch and my World Literature class.


DAY 2: New experiment. It's like Oliver's Misadventures Part 2. I had to spill the crystals after I weighed them. The equipment had to crash and stop working properly. I had to break a glass filtration syringe and wound myself. I will have to pay for that glassware I just broke. I will have to always crave for Band-Aids. . .


I have to find a psychiatrist.


Times like this just really drive me up the wall. It's like every bad thing I've done in the past piled up to become such a huge dark cloud of bad karma and it had become too heavy it had to rain on me. But why did it have to be a storm in two days? It should have just showered a little day after day. I could've just tripped a little on Monday or spilled my Coke on Tuesday, and again on Wednesday and Friday.


I should be careful what I wish for.


If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong.






kudos to Murphy and his goddamn law for screwing me up.
oliver.

14 Comments:

Jodie-Ann said...

Ahh shet. O__O I really hate days like that. The days when I feel like hiding in a cave in some country very far away. Those are the times when I rely on friends the most. Or I explode. Or implode. Whichever.
-Jodie-Ann

Ashley said...

Welcome to my world, where things go wrong on a daily basis, just for everyone else's shits and giggles.

That sucks though, hopefully you don't have a repeat of that episode anytime soon. Or at all.

Writing Junkie said...

ahhh sorry about your bad day Oliver. =/
My day was horrid as well. In PE class I got slammed in the eye with a dodgeball TWO times within a minute and had to sit out for the rest of the class. My teachers just had to give a quiz on stuff I did not know and then laugh as he failed me. -_____-

Yah, I understand bad days. I just hope that they can get better.
And I hope that your experiment works out next time.


http://the-writing-junkie.blogspot.com/

Writing Junkie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Writing Junkie said...

Hey!!
I gave you the stylish blogger award!!!
Go to my blog (it's posted above) to see what you are supposed to do with it.

Jodie-Ann said...

Hey... I awarded you on my blog. :P
-Jodie

Tom Millson said...

Arghh I felt like that when I spent 13 hours on a piece of work that only goes towards 2.5% of my overall blog... So frustrating!!

Sunakshi said...

I know how it feels like.i've been through them..not only for one day but for quite a long time.*sigh* :(

Clarence said...

That's okay, Ollie. Everyone's frustrated with the voltammeter. Apparently, it hates us. As for the syringe...it hates us as well because it's damn hard to push down. I also hate our Spectrofluorimetry data because our sample already degraded when we found out that our instructor failed to turn on the Xenon lamp.

I just like AAS :)

Hope you feel O-sm soon :>

Adrian Paul said...

Danggggg. That's so crazy. I hope that the coming days gets better. I believe in Karma. If something bad happens, there's bound to be something good that will happen in the days to come! Keep looking up!

YellowSguidsArtisticNature said...

hahaha i feel for you! I hate those days :(

aakriti said...

Everyone has bad days....It's okay at least your's went better than mine goes:)
Look on the bright side and that will cheer you up....little bit at the most....

aakriti said...

Ohh I forgot....to add blog more often cause I love reading your blog:D

Oliver said...

@Jodie
I wish I could hide in a cave, but I had to finish the experiment.

@Ashley
So was that your world I got myself in? It was terrible being there! Thanks.

@WJ
Oh, I love playing dodgeball! You know, that kind of teachers just had terrible high school experiences that they want to make their students' lives hell. They suck. I'm sorry about that! Next time laugh back right at his face!!! XD

@Jodie and WJ
Thanks for the awards! You're both awesome.

@Tom
I don't get it. But yeah. . . there, there.

@Sunakshi
Oh, Sunakshi! It's been so long. Cheer up!!!

@Clarence
I'm feeling awesome, but again the exams are coming. I loved the AAS. You just sit there and let the machine suck the sample, and let the computer give you the data-- how sweet!

@Adrian
I believe in karma too. I might have done something terrible in my past life as a weed.

@Maddy
Thanks for laughing at me! LOL. XD XD

@Aakriti
I'm cheering up. And oh, yes, I'll try to blog more often starting today. I just felt like I needed a break so I spent some time off blogging. Thanks!!! =]

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...