03 November, 2010

Game Over

The synthesis of para-red actually looks easier here.


We all know this feeling. We get all kinds of breaks. All over the world, we have Christmas breaks, fall breaks, inter-sem breaks, and summer breaks. One to two weeks off of school or work and when it’s time to realize that it’s over, we just can’t let it sink into us just yet. It’s like, “Oh my God, I can’t believe I’m going back to school, I’m having such a fantastic time doing all the things I want.” It’s always like, “I can’t believe I have to go through all that stress and headaches again!” And I’m like, “Oh no, my peanut butter moments are gonna turn into evenings with my textbooks! I can’t let that happen. Screw problem sets!” When we get a taste of something good, we can never get enough, unless it’s ice cream or chocolate in which case enough is signaled by a sharp headache. Having a long break does always end up coming up short, and we can’t do anything about it.


Why can’t we do anything about it? Of course there must be something we can do. If we think the break was short, extend it. When school starts, be on break. It doesn’t mean skipping classes. It means having fun while in school.


What’s wrong with answering problem sets anyway? It’s always a fun thing to do. You get to learn something new after hours of ruthless page-turning and notes-rummaging. It’s also always fun to watch how a pen can wonderfully leave ink on paper while producing numbers and letters. Answering organic chemistry problem sets is very artful. Look how beautifully drawn those stick-figure representations of molecules are. They look like unicorns, and constellations.


And caveman drawings. If you don’t understand what I mean, try to take an organic chemistry course and be prepared for a mental torture.


It’s fun to study for an exam. That one night you spend absorbing all those information from your notes and your books while infusing caffeine into your bloodstream— it’s a glorifying experience. What makes it even better is when on the next day, having got less sleep, you become anxious and a little fidgety. And when you look at the exam paper and realize that what you studied last night was fairly useless… No it’s not a punch in the face. It doesn’t make you want to kill yourself. It makes you want to smile. It makes you want to click your tongue, chuckle a bit, and say, “Nice prank, buddy.” There’s happiness piling inside your stomach like a stodgy chocolatey pudding and it comes out as a breath of laughter. Your good ol’ buddy fate has joked on you again and you always find it funny, like a little kid with a silly riddle.


It’s not funny. It’s ridiculous, but it’s not funny.


What did one wall say to another wall?


Why am I saying all this stuff?


Well, because here it goes again. The second semester is gonna start on Tuesday, and I’m not at all excited about it. I don’t understand why I’m feeling this way. It’s almost like I don’t wanna go to school anymore. The last term was just a very tough experience for me that I’m feeling like I don’t want to go through that kind of thing again, and again I don’t understand why I’m feeling this way. I’m a freakin student and the only thing I got to do is be in school, but why is the school attitude slowly drifting out of my spirit lately? I basically just threw the first semester. I didn’t put a lot of effort on every subject, skipped a couple of math classes just because my instructor was so uninspiring, worked on my orgo problem sets without caring whether what I was doing was right or wrong, and went into three calculus exams totally clueless of what the exam was about and how to answer the problems that are gonna appear on it. I was like a zombie. I was a student zombie. I was a student on the outside and a spiritless student on the inside.


What am I gonna do? I just have to suck it up. Like I’m gonna get something by complaining. I know I just need to do my best and focus on what I have to do and how I can get it done. I don’t feel like I need to work very hard. I just think that I have to at least work harder than I did last term. I need luck. That’s all I can have. I’m counting on luck. Why, that’s all I can do as I might spend the rest of my inter-sem break searching for a four-leaf clover. So just wish me luck… for the second term of my second year in college which is going to be tough.


As I have said, I’m a zombie. Breaking a leg wouldn’t be so hard for me to do, so just go and scream luck into my face.






kudos to luck-bringing happiness-inducing energies.
oliver.

6 Comments:

YellowSguidsArtisticNature said...

I'm sorry ):
I'm loving school right now. Its easy!! 2 out of my 5 classes consist of sitting on a mac and filming random stuff(:...As for you I give you kudos for being this science wiz...As for the whole spirit into school..well I can't help you there but I can say..Just think of how you feel when you get done with all this and seeing how much you accomplished at a young age((:.
P.s (response to your comment)I am following you!! But your not following me :'/

Christopher said...

breaks are so awesome, i need more of them

David Davidson said...

It's only fun when the marks you get are good. In the end, that's what matters most unfortunately. Not fun getting back an exam which you thought you figured out all the tricks only to discover that there were 2 more hidden tricks in each question.

1 more month until Winter break...

clare said...

I LOVE BREAKS. <3 I love org chem when I get what our prof is teaching...which is sometimes.
LOL! I remember you making a mechanism that's almost correct...only it lacked a step. Oh, and the Ollie mechanism.

Ingenious. :D

ps. If I get this posted, I just remembered my password :))

Come At Me Bro said...

This is sweet!

Oliver said...

@Yellow
Awesome for you! And no, I'm not really a science whiz. LOL. I'm just excited to get done with all these!

@Christopher
We all do.

@David
Hang in there, buddy. I know your midterms were tough. I know more exams are gonna come to you soon, but really. You can do it! Winter break is right there!

Two more hidden tricks in each question? Sounds like O-chem to me. LOL. XD

@Clare
You remembered your password! And I'm so clever, eh? O-chem is really hard to follow during discussions.

@Bro
Yay! =|

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...