28 October, 2010

I Killed Democracy

Yeah, right. Great.


Sitting on the couch, watching TV while making and eating peanut butter sandwiches… listening, chewing, thinking, swallowing, digesting both the awesome peanut butter sandwiches (I ate… more than six!) and the disgusting information being fed to me by the television, alone in the house in a warm afternoon, quiet but of the sounds and voices from the daytime news, the sound of the fan, the faintest sound of teeth crushing smoothly the softest bits of bread inside my mouth… that was the most boring two hours of my entire life. You can just imagine how I looked. I was like poster child for, uhm...  extremely-bored-to-the-point-of-insanity teenage kid. It was because of the news. It was all about the recent local elections.


I think I’m about to waste my time and yours by talking crap about our politics. By watching everything that was going on in the local community elections, I was able to convince myself that I’m never going to vote. Not even when I turn eighteen. Not even when my mom decides to run for a position after finishing a public administration master’s degree. Not ever. I’m never going to involve myself with politics. I’m never going to vote. Never. By making that decision... I’ve just killed democracy.
 

Do not point your shaking finger at me and say that I’m one of the people who afflicted this terrible government with the disease that I always complain about. A lot of people have brutally murdered democracy long ago even before I did. The sense of democracy is to have all of the nation’s people to cooperate to elect a president, a leader of some sort, by forcing them to excitedly do the cruel task of selecting a person best fit from a pool of people hungry for the position, and the fame, the power, and the loads of taxes and funds they could transfer from the treasury to their bank accounts, that come with it. Not one of my older sisters has ever voted. The population where I belong to likes to accept bribes and kill one another during the election period. I know a lot of people who started not giving a damn about politics even before I did, and they are part of the reason why I’ve just given up. The fools who kept voting for the wrong people, who convinced themselves fully that by voting they have made themselves better citizens than I am… They are fools. I live with fools and in a world of infinite craziness.


I am a fool myself. I’m not crazy.


I don't want to vote because the registration process is so long and tiresome. The voting proper is equally as tedious. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just because everything is so messed up. With everything that I have witnessed from this year's elections, national and local, I've already decided that I'm never going to vote. Never. So, Mr. President, I already killed democracy. What do we have now?


Why democracy? Why involve the people who make up the main problem of the country themselves? Now, I’m thinking, what is life without the government? I don’t think it is as bad as most people make it seem. Will there be a never-ending chaos? Will it be mad chaos? Will it be like 2012? Will we all die?


Yes, we’re all gonna die someday, silly. Ask Methuselah.


Think about it. If we never had a government, no one would ever complain. People who keep complaining would have no one to blame but themselves, and that would make them work their asses even harder. No one would fill the streets with words, noises, and burning effigies. People would not have any problem with anything and instead would just focus on what their issues are with their own lives and what they could do about it themselves.


I am in search of a form of government where government is absent. Somebody tell me what kind of government that is.


I read things about religious anarchism. There’s a group of people called religious anarchists who believe that any form of government is against the will of God because it is stated in their sacred book, written by the hands of their God, that no one else should be superior aside from the God. That’s kind of enlightening, isn’t it? I’m not a religious person. I don’t even know if I still have a religion. If you believe in God, do you think that the government is still necessary?


I don’t want to have that kind of religious anarchism government. I think it would give birth to a new breed of lunatics who are gonna kill people-- praying and saying that God instructed them to kill people for the sake of mankind. I don’t want to live in that world.


I’d rather die in 2012.


I’d rather go to jail and be punished for killing democracy.




 

kudos to the people who stand up for something by not standing up.
oliver.

6 Comments:

David Davidson said...

I vote only so I can complain and not be given the "maybe you should have voted then" had I not voted and complained.

Also with your teacher. I'd complain because what she did is really irresponsible. She could get into a lot of crap for what she's done. She should either discount the marks for that assignment or give you enough time for it.

If not, I know a lot of ways you can get back at her when the term ends. :3

Christopher said...

i vote because Sarah Palin could have the ability to nuke the entire planet into oblivion if elected in 2012, thus proving the mayans right

stupid mayans

YellowSguidsArtisticNature said...

That is communism..No government, everyone works as a whole. Which is impossible...and plus with no government who will pay our firefighters, police men,and our schools/teachers. Also with being able to choose who is in the government is good because its good to have someone in office who is popular in the US so we are for his issues. Just our government is corrupt and needs to change like get rid of parties so we can all decide on a good issue besides taking sides based on which party your in. So my final statement about this issue is Democracy is good but good Ol' USA managed to screw it up through our government. Go us...Good post(:

Jodie-Ann said...

Lol, in Canada, we have a whole different government. xD But, I've heard of the people you're talking about. :) Hmmmm... I can't imagine a world without Government. Ugh. That would be horrible.
-Jodie

NancyLove said...

Hello there Oliver! Yes it was You that recommended Palahnuiks Lullaby =D thank you for that! I love his writing <3 Out of the books you love my favorite are Carrie, Catcher in the Rye, Kite, Runner, and Things Fall Apart.. You're a talented writer.. I dig ^_^ Keep it up!

Oliver said...

@David
I hate it when people say that. It's not like one vote's gonna change everything, right? But I'm not really complaining about things... I just like to say my opinions.

And that teacher's already gone, dude. It's good that I don't see her anymore.

@Christopher
I adore the Mayans for having discovered chocolate.

Really? Sarah Palin could do that!?

@Yellow
Hmmm... Hmmm... Hmmm... Communism, eh? Who's going to pay for the schools? People who are gonna attend schools! Who's gonna pay for the police? Institutions! I don't know. Absence of government apparently would really suck, but I think I've made my point here already.

I agree. Democracy WAS good, but unfortunately, people screwed it up. =]

Thanks. =]

@Jodie
So you think that it would be really horrible, Jodie? What about a life without... the internet!? AHH!

What kind of government do you have over there in Canada?

@Nancy
Yes, Palahniuk is... crazy! I really love Stephen King, so Carrie is definitely one of my top 5 favorite books. The Kite Runner will be in my top 5 also.

Wow thanks! I really hope you're having fun reading my posts. Thanks! =]

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...